Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The nature of the business...

A friend of mine recently called me in a bit of a frenzy asking if I had sold gran's loose change. My mum then popped round to my house with a magazine in tow demanding to know why I hadn't told her that I sold gran's loose change! I had no idea what they were talking about until I read the article in the Enterprise magazine and was saddened at the lazy and confused journalism which reported that my Little Big Markets co-founder was the owner of gran's loose change.

We are all human and we all make mistakes, but considering I come from a journalistic background, I was annoyed that the journalist hadn't even done a general google search of 'gran's loose change' (which would have told her everything she needed to know) or checked her information before going to print.

Needless to say, a retraction will be in the April edition of Enterprise and you can all rest assured that I am still the rightful owner of gran's loose change.

It then got me thinking about my trip to Wellington for the recording of my slot on The Good Morning Show. It is generally filmed live and while my slot was pre-recorded, there was no room for mistakes. No second takes. It was an exciting yet scary experience where you don't have any script or run throughs and questions are fired at you to answer on the spot! I had a lot of fun but the line of questioning differed to what I had prepared and planned for - but that's the nature of the business. What I have learnt from being on both sides of journalism, is that unless you are writing it yourself, it never quite turns out how you'd expect.

Tune in to TV1 THIS Friday (March 18th) at approx 9.14am to see me in action, (and by that I mean trying my best to look like I knew what I was doing!!) Have a lovely Tuesday xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!...