Tuesday, January 4, 2011

London is Burning...

Back when I was in the Front Row Diary Fashion Week blogger comp I came across the lovely new New Zealand designer, Sophie Burrowes. Her collections I'd seen were beautiful. Feminine, soft and super pretty. Those who know me will know that none of those are words I would use to describe my personal wardrobe or style but I adored nearly every piece. There was something about Sophie Burrowes the label. Some kind of grunty, kick ass, 'I have to have me some of that' freshness to it. And when I saw her Winter '11 collection, there it was. A collection that teams softness and femininity with an underground edge. 'London is Burning' has a dark, rich, mysterious side to it and I cannot wait to see it hit the stores in March.

Sophie and I have exchanged several emails and phonecalls now and she is just as pleasant as her label. AND, the wonderful Miss Burrowes has arranged a dress for me to wear to my brother's wedding this Saturday from her brand new collection!! I am so excited to adorn the beauty of Sophie Burrowes. Which one? You'll have to wait and see...I'll be sure to post pics after the wedding this Saturday.

London is Burning, Winter '11
Model: Georgie Wright at Red 11
Photographer: Daniel Batten
Assistant: Luke Doig
Hair and Make-up: Uma Lele

Sophie is a young, New Zealand design powerhouse. She is STILL studying fashion design and has accomplished far too much for her tender age! (I say that out of admiration!!!) Check out her website here and read on to learn about Sophie Burrowes.

What is your full name?
Sophie Mahony Burrowes

What are you known as?
Sophie

What do you do?
University Student first then fashion designer

What would you ideally like to do?
Ideally, I would love to design for a large established company and not have to worry with all the things like accounts and production. But. If I can't do that I want to keep growing my label so it becomes a full time job for me when I leave uni.

What inspires you?
Everything really. Reading blogs and coming across pictures that I like. Usually I end up finding a fabric that inspires me and go from there.

You obviously design new clothing, and we (gran's loose change) obviously source and sell second hand and vintage - do you think there has to be one or the other or do they go together?
They definitely go together, finding old vintage things that work in today's trends can look great,I prefer it when the vintage pieces are more clean cut however, like quality leather belts, accessories, sheer cream shirts. On the other hand I'm always a fan of the 80's metallics.

What's one thing gran's loose change customers may not know about you?
Hmmmm.... I'm addicted to Sims 3.

Where do you want to be in five years?
Have never really thought of that! Hopefully I won't still be mooching off my parents for food! As long as I'm designing something I think I'll be happy.


What's the best advice you've ever been given?
Well my parents always say to just keep going and do want I want.


Word of wisdom for gran's loose change customers?
Fashions fade, style is eternal. Be comfortable in your own skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!...